Saturday, October 29, 2011

Would you consider having a hysterectomy?

From: DrHolly
To: ALL Posted:

Did you know that hysterectomies are among the most commonly performed surgeries in this country? For years, though, women?s health advocates have said that it?s performed too often. That is, it?s performed unnecessarily. A new study might bolster their claims: It shows that hysterectomy may significantly raise the risk of developing urinary incontinence.


Have you had, or has a doctor ever recommended that you have a hysterectomy? What led to your decision, one way or the other? And how do you feel about the notion of unnecessary hysterectomies in general? I?m interested to hear your thoughts.


From: Jill4p2003 

I thought about it for a long time and decided to do it for health reasons. The largest one was 12 cm, and I had several smaller fibroids. A total of thirteen fibroids removed. Everyone I told was 100% supportive of my decision. My husband most of all.

From: Babe

A dr told me that I should have a hysterectomy because my ovarys were enlarged to 3.5, that I was unable to have children without first doing alot of different things and then there was no guarantee, I have poly-cystic and endometeosis. I have never had a regular menstrural cycle in my life. I choose not to have the hysterecomy. 2 years later I was pregnant and have a beautiful baby girl... She was born at 6 1/2 months and weighed 2.2lbs... Both of us like to have died, but the lord spared us and we both are alive and doing well. If I had of choost the hysterectomy I would not have my baby today... The only thing I did to get pregnant was to change my life to a less stressful one and I divorced my husband of 14 years and meet my husband now... We were together for 2 months and me thinking I never could gert pregnant we did not use any protection and now we have our miracle Tomi Jo... I am so thankful that I did not have the hysterectomy.... Sorry if the spelling is not completely correct. Debbie Nance

From: Candy2020

At this point and time of my life, if I could get a hysterectomy without serious side effects (hormonal fluctuations, incontinence, etc.), I'd do it in a heartbeat!!!! I've sufferecd with painful, heavy bleeding for about 20 years, and I thanked God for the inventor of Motrin. That medicine helped me for many years. I'd pop 3 tablets with a glass of milk, then I'd be set till 27-28 days later. All of a sudden, I turned 30 and my periods became irregular, extremely painful to the point of being incapacitated for 4 days a month, and the Motrin nearly stopped working. My doctor at that time recommended my trying oral contraceptives, but I couldn't use the pills because I have a family history of serious blood clotting. Now I'm 42 and it's truly amazing that I still have my job! I really should have been let go considering all the reproductive health issues I've had over the past 11 years (fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts now, ON TOP OF the extremely painful periods). You name the surgery, I've had it...the first ovarian cyst I developed (on my right ovary) was so painful that it lead to my appendix being removed because it was helping it to rupture. I've had 2 laparoscopies since that surgery to remove recurring cysts, and last year I ended up having an endometrial ablation because of my fibroid tumors. Now, I have ANOTHER ovarian cyst, again on my right ovary! HELP!!!!!

Hello Dr. Holly,
Once again, great topic!

I would only consider a hysterectomy as a last resort - in other words, if it were necessary to save my life. It amazes me how people tend to think of the uterus as an extraneous organ - especially after a woman has gone through menopause. The research you describe only reinforces my belief that people need to seriously consider the side effects of any procedure if it is elective.

From: elaine2010

Hi Dr Holly,my mom had a hysyerectomy for cancer,Id do it as a last resort.I read yesterday the it can lead to bladder problems later in life.My mom has them now too,I think it messed her up phycologically, like she feels less than a woman.We are glad to still have her around too.I think it depends on the person...

From: Bernadetta1

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago after many years of treatment for anemia due to very heavy periods. Initially, I started with iron supplements which did not work, and later I was receiving iron injections once a month for 2 years. My doctor suggested that I take hormons, as well as other treatments, hysterectomy being one of them, and after closer examination of those treatments, I went with a hysterectomy. I was in my mid 40's and done having children. It was the best thing I did for myself. Within a month following my surgery, my anemia was gone. Going to the surgery my iron stores were at 1.9, one month after the surgery they were at 12. So...to summarize it, a hysterectomy might not be the answer for other women, but it was definetly for me. Glad I did it.

From: amariamom

I had a Laparoscopic Assisted Supracervical Hysterectomy w/ Bilat Salpingo-oophorectomy two months ago. I had a 14 wk sized uterus due to a fibroid; and also cysts in my ovaries. At 44 yrs old, I felt like my reproductive organs had "outlived their use"; they were starting to turn on me. It's the best decision I've ever made....no more periods (cramping, hemorrhaging, planning my life around, etc), no more PMS (woohoo!). I don't have to get up 2-3 times during the night to urinate, and the constant pressure is gone from my pelvis. I feel like I have my life back...I do have hot flashes and night sweats but I'll take them anytime compared to my "previous life". That being said, it is major surgery and there are potential risks and complications (like an intraoperative hemorrhage requiring transfusions); it's not a decision to be made lightly. I don't believe any surgery should be done if it's not necessary. I would make the same decision all over again (only I'd insist on an abdominal approach instead of the laparascopic--more control of a 14 wk sized uterus, therefore, less chance of hemorrhage)

Newsletters
Follow us on
Copyright © 2011 Everyday Health, Inc.
About EverydayHealth.com | About Everyday Health, Inc.
Need Help? | Ad Policy | Advertise With Us | Link To Us | Feedback

The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information. Use of this site is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.